St. John’s Women of the ELCA invite the entire congregation to participate with us on Thankoffering Sunday, November 11, 2018. We will have Thankoffering envelopes available for anyone who would like to participate with a financial offering. The Globe Offering will also be given to the Women of the ELCA Thankoffering projects. The Thankofferings support many women’s, men’s, and children’s programs, along with scholarships for women wanting to further their education. A special offering of food for Semcac is given along with quilts that are provided to an organization in need of them. Our women invite everyone yes even children to participate by bringing a bag of food to be brought forward for a blessing during this service.
St. John’s is a collection site for the Dodge County “Ready, Set, Learn” program to provide school supplies for children in need. Donations accepted in the Narthex beginning June 3.
- backpacks (large preferred)
- glue sticks (washable, small)
- 2-pocket folders (blue, green, red, yellow)
- washable markers (wide or narrow)
- spiral notebooks (wide or college ruled; blue, green, red, yellow)
- #2 pencils (12 packs)
- pencil pouches/boxes
- highlighters (wide or narrow)
- pens (black or blue)
- composition books (wide or college ruled).
Applications are due by July 27.
Questions: contact Tanya Young at (316) 390-5368 or email@example.com.
If you’re ready to think about summer, then it’s time to think about Vacation Bible School! Any child ages 3-years-old through 4th grade is invited to join us for St. John’s FREE Superhero VBS. We’re also looking for donations of simple household items for arts and crafts, people (5th grade through adult) to help at VBS, and people to help us decorate.
St. John’s Lutheran, Kasson MN
June 18-22 | 8:30 – 11:30 am
Ages 3 through 4th grade
(2017-2018 school year)
We are offering early drop-off (7:00-8:15 am), late pick-up (11:45 am-12:30 pm, and transportation to Just Like Home or Project Kids in Kasson. For questions, contact Deacon Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org or (507)634-7110 ext. 14.
Register your child here. Please register by May 18 to be guaranteed a t-shirt.
We are collecting plastic milk caps, empty paper towel rolls, washi tape, and cardboard cereal boxes for arts and crafts. Bring your donations to St. John’s.
Get involved with Vacation Bible School!
We need a lot of people to make VBS a success! Here are just a couple ways to get involved. You can sign-up to volunteer on the bulletin board or by talking with Deacon Amanda.
- Station Leaders (11th grade – Adult)
- You have the important job of teaching the Bible point to each group of children as they rotate thru the stations. Each station shares the lesson in a different, unique way: experiencing a Bible story, doing a craft, playing games, eating a snack, or hearing about real kids who live out the Bible point in real life. The joy of this position is that you get to share God with the kids in your own specialized way each day.
- Crew Leaders (7th grade – Adult)
- If you love kids, you can do this job! This is the perfect opportunity to really get to know the kids. You will have about 5 students the stations during the course of the morning where you’ll learn important Bible points and have a lot of fun! And you won’t be alone, you’ll travel to your stations with 1-2 other crews.
- Assistant Leaders (5 – 6th grade)
- You bring the excitement and energy to our VBS that helps the kids get excited about learning the Bible truth for that day. You’ll be placed in each crew to help the crew leaders guide their children from station to station. You’ll get to play with the kids and help them do the activities planned each day.
- Music Leaders (7th – Adult)
- You get to bring the noise! You get to help us celebrate the Bible point through music. Music is provided.
VBS Decorating Party
Saturday, June 9
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
To make our church a fun and inviting space for VBS, many hands and thoughtful ideas will be needed to decorate. We are looking for some workers (creativity is optional) to help put together home kits, decorate doors, rooms, hallways, a lobby, and a platform in some fun themes. Come for the entire time or any amount of time you can contribute. Help us plan for lunch by signing up on the bulletin board at St. John’s or talk to Angie Moore or Amanda Sabelko.
For questions, please contact Amanda at (507) 634-7110 or email@example.com
June is handbell conference time. It is being held in Rochester so mark your calendars for the June 24th concert with up to 450 handbell ringers playing together in the Rochester Civic Center. We would like your support. Please donate an item for a silent auction/raffle to be held in early May. Please contact Ann Brenke (507-951-8750).
The Education Commission is in the process of updating the St. John’s Library and needs your help!
- Buy books. They are hosting a book sale of books cleaned out of the library to raise funds for new resources. Books are available for a freewill donation – take what you want, give what you can. Cash or check are accepted. Find them in the Fellowship Hall. Funds will be used to update the library space. (The book sale has now ended, but we’re still welcoming help on our refresh!)
- Donate. They have a wish list available of new resources they wish to make available. Items can be donated directly OR donate funds to help purchase.
- Volunteer. If you are passionate about books and interested in helping, your contribution would be welcomed.
Questions? Want to donate? Want to volunteer? Contact Amanda Sabelko (firstname.lastname@example.org or (507) 634-7110).
The future library materials will all contain religious content. The Kasson Community has numerous resources available for non-religious content.
- Augsburg Fortress – Primary Source for ELCA Publications
- Christian Book.com – Secondary Source for Publications
Children’s and Young Adults
- Berenstain Bears – Religious Series
- Veggie Tales
- Adventures in Odyssey
- Comics/Graphic Novels
- Bible Studies
- Personal Growth
- Bible Studies
- The committee also wishes to replace the tables, chairs, paint and decorations
The Women of the ELCA of our congregation will host a “Doing Day” on Wednesday, March 21. You are invited to come any time after 8:00 am (usually wrapping up by about 2:00 pm) to help pack kits to help benefit people around the world and in the United States and/or help prepare quilts. We will take time out for morning coffee and devotions and a potluck lunch. Find a list of required items below, in the Snippets at the Welcome Center, or on the WELCA bulletin board. Questions? Contact Gail Jensen at (507) 633-2467 or (507) 951-3367.
- child-size blunt tip scissors
- 24 count crayons
- pencil sharpeners
- 12” rulers that include centimeter on one side and inches on the other
- 70-sheet notebooks (wide or college rule)
- ball point pens (black or blue)
- 2½” erasers
- sturdy combs
- pick-style combs
- jar or tubes of petroleum jelly (approx 4 oz or larger)
- heavy duty kitchen style gloves (size medium)
- nail clippers
- cloth diapers
- light weight bath towels
- hand towels (preferably dark colors)
- soap (ivory or unscented is preferred, individually wrapped)
- infant-size clothing (6-18 m sizes – T-shirts, sleepers without feet and cotton knit sleep sacks)
- new or gently used sheets double sized or larger fitted sheets, twin sized or larger flats
- flannel pillow cases
Take an ornament on the Giving Tree to purchase a life-changing item from ELCA Good Gifts (more info in the catalogs around the building or at www.ELCA.org/goodgifts) or for movie tickets for Food For Friends. Take a tag, purchase the movie card, and return both to the church office. Checks for ELCA Good Gifts should be made out to St. John’s OR purchase online.
Please specifically label your Lutefisk Dinner Bake Sale items (i.e. nuts, flavorings, etc.). Please consider donating to our bake sale. All proceeds from the bake sale table are used throughout the year to fund a variety of our congregation’s projects.
Lutefisk donation letters have been mailed to each St. John’s household. If you didn’t receive a letter with your family’s donation request, or if you are not a member but would like to contribute, please contact the office. YOUR DONATIONS are important to the success of our dinner!
If you like to attend garage/estate sales or perhaps have these in your home, please be on the lookout for two small sized glass bowls that are no longer available to purchase new (see picture below for specific style and measurement). If you would consider donating these, we could use more of these in our church kitchen!
If you have any empty ice cream pails with lids that you could donate, please bring to the church office before October 20, 2017 to be used the week of the lutefisk dinner.
Guess what time it is? IT IS SHOE BOX TIME! That’s right, Operation Christmas Child!
There are going to be a lot of exciting opportunities this year. We have started collecting supplies and empty shoe boxes in a bin in the Narthex marked Operation Christmas Child. (See below for a list of items to donate.)
Packing parties will start Wednesday, September 27 around 7 pm (after worship). They are scheduled every Wednesday and Sunday until November 11, with a few days off. If you or your group would be interested in doing a packing party, please Tanya Young know. We are open to doing them other days as well.
The 2nd annual parade will be held October 8 at 3:30 pm. We will collect supplies in the streets of Kasson with fire trucks, ambulances, police cars, and St. John’s Blue Bus. Additional features will be in the parade, but you will have to wait to see what they are. Following the parade, we will meet back at the church for refreshments. Please consider walking or riding in the parade with us.
Thank you so much for your continued support of this project!
For more information, contact Tanya Young at (316) 390-5368 email@example.com.
Items to donate:
- TOYS: Include items that children will immediately embrace such as dolls, toy cars, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, balls, toys that light up and make noise (with extra batteries)
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES: pens, pencils and sharpeners, crayons, markers, notebooks, paper, solar calculators, colored pencils, erasers, rulers, scissors with rounded edges, water color paints, coloring and picture books, glue sticks
- NON-LIQUID HYGIENE ITEMS: toothbrushes, bar soap, combs, washcloths, small package of Kleenex
- ACCESSORIES: t-shirts, socks, hats, sunglasses, hair clips, jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries)
- A PERSONAL NOTE: You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. If you include your name and address, the child may be able to write back.
- DO NOT INCLUDE: Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snow globes or glass containers; aerosol cans.
Ready Set Learn Back to School is a program that is offering backpacks and school supplies to qualified recipients. It started in 2007, and has grown ever since. In the 2016 school year we were able to serve approximately 345 kids, helping prepare them with school supplies for the upcoming year. We now have a committee of 10 dedicated individuals from the community that our passionate about making this continue to strive. We run on donations from the community, businesses, organizations, and individuals. We wouldn’t be able to make it without these generous donations.
We are accepting donations now through August 6 both at St. John’s and at the Kasson ShopKo.
Items needed include:
- Backpacks – Large
- Glue Sticks – Small
- 2 – Pocket Folders (Blue, Green, Red, Yellow)
- Markers – Washable, Narrow or Wide
- Notebooks – Wide-ruled, spiral, one subject, colors: blue, green, red, yellow
- #2 Pencils 12-pack
- Pencil Pouches – Zippered
- Highlighters – Any Color Wide or Narrow
- Pens – Blue or Black
- Composition Notebooks – Wide or College ruled
We are also having a “Stuff The Bus” Event July 19 from 4-9 pm at the Dodge County Fair to fill St. John’s Big Blue Bus with supplies!