The blizzard kept us home, but we still need to crown a winning chili! Sunday, March 24, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm we’ll have chili (free will donation) and bingo ($2/card) to benefit our summer service trip youth. Still want to enter your chili? Talk to Lindsay (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 23.
Starting March 31 our summer service trip youth will be selling caramel rolls to be picked up Palm Sunday (April 14). Watch for details!
Unfortunately, the Haiti Mission trip has been postponed. Due to the current civic unrest and crime in Haiti there is a Department of State travel advisory. The group will continue to raise funds for the projects they are supporting as discussed below.
On March 21-28, 2019, eight people from southeastern Minnesota will travel to visit our mission partners in Haiti. From St. John’s: Jen Smith, Emilie and Luckinger Hilaire, Wayne Hendrickson, and Dennis Foster. From Rochester Central Lutheran School: Missy Tjosaas. And from St. Paul Lutheran Church in Pine Island: Pastor Marie Anderson and Kari Toft.
- Children’s VBS in Bouyaha and in Pignon
- Taking student pictures in Bouyaha
- Women’s bible study
- Health education and wellness clinics
- Food distribution to Families in Bouyaha
- Basic sewing classes
- Solar powered computer lab at the school in Bouyaha
- Rehabbing Bouyaha homes (cement floor, roof repair)
- Funding for a truck (partnership with two other congregations)
Before the trip, St. John’s is working to raise $15,000 for three of these projects:
- $4,500 for a solar powered computer lab. This will include the solar power infrastructure and 11 laptop computers.
- $4,000 will go to providing cement floors and metal roofs for homes in Bouyaha, upgrading from dirt floors and makeshift roofs.
- $6,500 is St. John’s portion of a total $20,000 goal for a reliable pickup truck. Two congregations in Illinois will share the total cost. We’re also looking for leads on a 2004-2010 3/4 or 1 ton, 4-door, diesel, 4 WD, manual transmission pickup with reasonable mileage.
There are ways the team is asking for help meeting this goal:
- Come to the February 20 Oasis meal. Donations will go to support these projects. A pizza supper will be served 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm.
- Join us again for a Pulled Pork Luncheon on Sunday, March 17 starting at 11:30 am.
- Cash donations are always welcome! Cash or check to St. John’s Lutheran Church clearly marked for Haiti Mission can be placed in the weekly offering or left in the office.
All funds raised will directly toward those we serve. Each team member is paying his or her own expenses.
Your prayers are also needed! Pray for:
- The team as they travel
- The team as they complete God’s work
- The students in Bouyaha
- Pastor Mioche and his staff
Due to the weather for February 24 – the original date – this event has been rescheduled for March 24.
Warm up at the annual Chili Cook-Off & Bingo event! Sunday, March 24, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm (note the time change from previous years). The chili tasting is by free will donation. Bingo is $2 per card. There are prizes for bingo and the best chili – plus the coveted Gus the Goose trophy for the best chili!
All proceeds help fund our youth summer service trip to San Diego.
Think you have the best chili? Register by 11:00 am, March 23 by contacting Lindsay (email@example.com).
Get out your pots or your spoons – chefs and tasters should all plan to be at the 2019 Chili Cook-Off February 24 from 11:30 am-1:30 pm. Prizes for the top three chilies and bingo with prizes. Freewill donation. Details coming soon!
Our youth are decorating and auctioning off amazing Christmas trees again this year! The auction will begin on Sunday, December 2 and will end on after worship Wednesday, December 19 (7:30 pm end time). The auction proceeds will benefit our students attending summer youth trips in 2019 to Sugar Creek Bible Camp and our service trip to San Diego. Please be sure to stop into the Fellowship Hall between the above dates to check out all of their great work! Direct any questions to Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark your calendars and gather your items. The Education Commission’s rummage sale is May 11 and 12, 2018. We will begin accepting donations April 29. No furniture or electronics, please.
On Friday, April 20 the youth will cook and serve at the American Legion Burger Night in Kasson to help raise money for their trip to Houston for the ELCA National Youth Gathering this summer. Join us for burgers and fries at the great price of $8 a plate. Serving will be 5:30-7:30 pm. There will also be a meat raffle. We look forward to seeing you there and doing the cooking for you!
June is handbell conference time. It is being held in Rochester so mark your calendars for the June 24th concert with up to 450 handbell ringers playing together in the Rochester Civic Center. We would like your support. Please donate an item for a silent auction/raffle to be held in early May. Please contact Ann Brenke (507-951-8750).
The Education Commission is in the process of updating the St. John’s Library and needs your help!
- Buy books. They are hosting a book sale of books cleaned out of the library to raise funds for new resources. Books are available for a freewill donation – take what you want, give what you can. Cash or check are accepted. Find them in the Fellowship Hall. Funds will be used to update the library space. (The book sale has now ended, but we’re still welcoming help on our refresh!)
- Donate. They have a wish list available of new resources they wish to make available. Items can be donated directly OR donate funds to help purchase.
- Volunteer. If you are passionate about books and interested in helping, your contribution would be welcomed.
Questions? Want to donate? Want to volunteer? Contact Amanda Sabelko (email@example.com or (507) 634-7110).
The future library materials will all contain religious content. The Kasson Community has numerous resources available for non-religious content.
- Augsburg Fortress – Primary Source for ELCA Publications
- Christian Book.com – Secondary Source for Publications
Children’s and Young Adults
- Berenstain Bears – Religious Series
- Veggie Tales
- Adventures in Odyssey
- Comics/Graphic Novels
- Bible Studies
- Personal Growth
- Bible Studies
- The committee also wishes to replace the tables, chairs, paint and decorations
The youth attending the 2018 ELCA National Youth Gathering will be serving two upcoming meals.
On Palm Sunday, March 25 they will serve breakfast between the morning services. The menu will be egg bake, muffins, fruit, juice, and coffee. There will also be a silent auction. Lindsay will take any donations that you would like to contribute until Friday, March 23. Come enjoy a wonderful breakfast as we prepare our hearts and souls for Holy Week.
On Friday, April 20 they will cook and serve at the American Legion Burger Night in Kasson. Join us for burgers and fries at the great price of $8 a plate. Serving will be 5:30-7:30 pm. There will also be a meat raffle. We look forward to seeing you there and doing the cooking for you!
You’ve had a long, cold winter to work out the perfect chili concoction and now it’s time to show it off! St. John’s Youth & Family Ministry will host its fourth annual Chili Cookoff and Bingo night on Sunday, February 25 from 4:00 – 6:00 pm.
Chili Tasting: Free Will Donations
Bingo: $1 per card
Prizes for Bingo and the Best Chili
Proceeds help send youth to the ELCA National Youth Gathering
Register your chili by 11:00 am, February 25
Contact Lindsay Colwell – firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you need to wash that filthy salt spray off your car? Do breakfast burritos sound delicious? Do you want to help young children grow in their faith and love of God?
Creation Kids Preschool can use you!
Support the preschool by purchasing a Kwik Trip Carwash Card. Each card has 5 Ultimate car washes for $30. This is a $50 value (regular car wash price is $10, cost on gift card is $6 per wash!). Gift cards to do not expire and can be used at any Kwik Trip in MN, IA, and WI. Please contact Jessica Paulsen at (952) 484-2777 or Rachel Linbo at (507) 421-6013. You can also send a message on Creation Kids Preschool-Kasson, MN Facebook page.
Come hungry Sunday morning, January 21. The preschool families will be serving a breakfast 9:00 am-10:30 am. Breakfast burritos are on the menu!
The confirmation small groups, along with a couple other groups, have decorated Christmas trees and other holiday decorations (pallet creations, wreaths) for the Advent season. They will be in the Fellowship Hall for you to bid on until Sunday, December 17. Proceeds from the auction go to help pay for confirmation summer camp.
Adult Fellowship is encouraging everyone to come & support†the Care & Share Auction on November 16 at the new location right here at St. John’s. This is such a great way to help the community make the holidays a little brighter for folks in need right here in the Kasson-Mantorville area.