The 2018 ELCA National Youth Gathering will be held June 27-July 1, 2018 in Houston, TX. We will be having an information session regarding this trip on Sunday, August 20 at 10 am in the Fireside Room. Fundraising will begin immediately, so the earlier you get signed-up the better! Sign up is available at www.stjohnskasson.org/youth
If you – or a student you know – are considering attending Luther College next fall, now is the time to check out the scholarship application from their College Ministries office. There are three scholarships offered to first-year students. More information – and the application – can be found in this download. The deadline is February 1, 2017.
Starting January 8, the youth will have another opportunity to gather as a “Youth Group.” Join Lindsay and other youth from the congregation at 11:30 am Sundays! Youth also meet on Wednesdays at 7:15 pm. Come to whichever time(s) work for you! All are invited.
8-12th graders are invited to a retreat April 16-17. We leave at 2 pm on Saturday and return around 3:30 pm on Sunday. The deadline to sign up is April 6. There are 20 spots for students and three spots for chaperones. Cost is $50 which includes housing, meals, and challenge course. We will have a guest speaker. This is a leadership retreat and planning for the coming school year. Sign-up is in the office.
High Schoolers – Join us for a retreat Saturday, April 16-Sunday April 17. We will leave church around 2 pm on Saturday and return around 3:30 pm on Sunday. The cost is $50 per student which includes meals and the challenge course if it is open. We will be staying overnight in cabins, have worship, and conversation together. We will have a guest speaker and plan for the future of Peer Ministry/PLAGUE. The retreat is open to 8th-12th graders. Deadline to register is Wednesday, April 6. Those interested in coming should contact Lindsay (firstname.lastname@example.org or (507) 634-7110 ext 15. Registration will be available in early March. Watch www.stjohnskasson.org/youth and the youth board for details.
Members of St. John’s – If you will be attending an ELCA-affiliated college in 2016-2017, you are invited to apply for a scholarship from St. John’s Foundation. Applications are due by March 15, 2016.
Youth Ministry Coordinator
As 2015 comes to a close, we have much to be thankful for and much to look forward to here at St. John’s! I feel blessed to have been welcomed into such a congregation as this one: a congregation willing to have conversations, people willing to give so much of themselves, and a congregation invested in the future of its youth. God is at work among us, which I see every time I spend time with the youth of this congregation. I am looking forward to all that 2016 has to bring and to all that God has in store for us. Here are just a few things that Youth and Family Ministry and I are working on at the moment:
- Our 5th and 6th grade students are becoming more active in their involvement in service and educational opportunities both on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. During the Oasis afterschool time on Wednesday we are trying out a new youth group model with our 5th and 6th graders centered-around fun and fellowship, giving them a chance to burn off some energy after a long day at school. I am hoping to work toward establishing something similar for those students who take part in Sunday mornings.
- Our 7th and 8th grade students taking part in confirmation have been enthusiastically engaging in our quiz bowl contest, having lots of fun and competing a little while learning about the Apostles’ Creed. In 2016, we will continue our confirmation study with the sacraments, as well as planning a few events for this age group outside the structure of confirmation class.
- Our high school youth have a great inter-generational event in the works for the winter months. Look for more information to come on this event that will be planned by our students for the entire congregation to enjoy. The high school youth group (Peer Ministry/P.L.A.G.U.E) will also become more regular in their events. High school students looking to get involved can meet the group at church at 7:30pm each Wednesday to carpool to our meeting place. Our meeting events will be on a rotating schedule for the month as follows: week 1 – service event, week 2 – learning activity and conversation, week 3 – fellowship/fun (often the week we will go to Rochester), and week 4 – a leadership activity. If there is a 5th week in the month, we will have a second fellowship/fun evening.
As always, please check out the church calendar and announcements for any changes. Students and those interested in taking part in any of these ministries can follow goings on through the Remind app or by texting the number 81010. The following are the class names to follow in the app or to put in the message portion of a text message: 5th and 6th grade – @cyf5and6; 7th and 8th grade – @sjkasson; High school – @sjkyouth.
May God bless our work together, giving us hearts full of his love and compassion and hands to do his work in the world. May he show us how to be everyday missionaries, the people of God at work in the world.
- The Chili Feed will be rescheduled for later this winter.
- Youth Mission Trip for grades 9-12 (‘15-’16 school year) will be to Philadelphia, July 15-23. Trip is through Youth Works and will focus on poverty and food sustainability. More info at www.stjohnskasson.org/2016-mission-trip
Welcome to the first-ever Friday Roundup post! What have we, the people of St. John’s, been up to this last week?
The BIG deal was the Lutefisk Dinner. This year’s event served 1,925 meals (1,604 adults and children, 140 take-out, and 181 workers).
You can view more photos on our Facebook page (yes, even if you don’t use Facebook).
Faith & Art
Member Wayne Hendricksen talked about his woodworking and his faith as part of our Faith & Art adult education series. Our final session is this Sunday, the 25th, at 9:15 and will be led by Gustavus student Karoline Stark on sacred dance.
High School Peer Ministry/PLAGUE
Wednesday night after worship, the high schoolers met at Buffalo Wild Wings in Rochester and then went shopping for supplies for Operation Christmas Child.
We are using the Remind app for confirmation and youth group text alerts. If people are already using the app they just need to add @sjkyouth for the high school youth group info and @sjkasson for confirmation info. If not using the app they can text 81010 and in the message section of the text write @sjkyouth for high school youth group or @sjkasson for confirmation. Links are as follows: www.remind.com/join/sjkasson and www.remind.com/join/sjkyouth.
The high school retreat that was schedule for August 14-15 at Ironwood Springs has been rescheduled for April 16-17, 2016. This retreat will be an overnight for Saturday-Sunday and will be open to 8th-12th graders. Look for more information to come this school year!
On May 17 & 20 we will be honoring our graduating Seniors at all services. Seniors who participated in the Senior Quilt Project will also receive their quilts at these services.
St. John’s Church Foundation is accepting applications for scholarships to attend an ELCA college. Applications are due March 15. Applications are available at the Welcome Center, the church office, or download one now.
It has been a busy summer for the youth! We’ve traveled and served in San Juan, TX (check out our blog posts), drove up to Superior, WI and canoed the length of the Brule River, traveled to Flathead, MT for confirmation camp, and headed over to Wisconsin Dells for our 6th-8th grade “Action Packed Week!” This fall we are cruisin’ along in full gear and have several activities planned! Starting the school year with “Rise up Rochester” which will be a mini-youth gathering with a projection of over 100-150 9th-12th graders! This event will happen on September 20th and will be held at The Place (Boys and Girls Club of Rochester) from 5:30-10:30 p.m. By request of our youth we will also be going to Valley Scare on October 11th and will be participating in Box City on Halloween night. The biggest event of the year that we will be preparing for is the ELCA National Youth Gathering happening in Detroit, MI on July of 2015!
Please pray for us and/or join us for the following events:
- September 14th Youth Car Wash @ Church
- September 20th Rise Up Rochester
- October 11th Valley Scare
- October 30th Box City