Youth Ministry Coordinator
When people aren’t familiar with the type of job that I have or are not familiar with St. John’s they tend to say to me as the school year winds to a close, “Things must be slowing down for you now that the school year is ending, right?” Usually that produces a laugh from me and the comment, “No, I am actually MUCH busier in the summer.” I spend my summer preparing last-minute details for the high school and confirmation trips, putting together summer mid-week worship with Amanda, and trying desperately to get everything ready for the coming school year. Three months sounds like a lot of time, but in reality it goes by in a flash.
This summer in mid-week worship around the fire pit we are using a book called Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life by Tish Harrison Warren. The book outlines how everything from waking up in the morning to checking email to going to bed are sacred practices in the life of our faith. We are also spending time concentrating on prayer. How can we not only make prayer a more regular part of our lives, but how can we pray for one another. One of the things that we are trying out is writing our prayer requests for the week on a Post-It note and then at the end of the service taking home someone else’s prayer request to include in our own prayers. Busy lives get in the way of our faith at times, but perhaps if we spend a little time shifting our perspective about what prayer looks like we will see that our entire day can be seen as a prayer. I have a quote up in my office that says, “God comes to you disguised as your life” (Paula D’Arcy).
Take a moment to look around and see where God is showing up in your life. Take a moment to pray for someone else. Open your eyes to the possibility of the sacred in the everyday ordinary occurrences in your life. Find a few moments this summer to set aside the busyness and thank God for the wonder that is life. God’s blessings to you in your sacred, ordinary life.
Make plans now to help with the 56th annual lutefisk dinner to be held on Thursday, October 26, 2017. Lefse bakes will begin on August 23 and continue for nine weeks. In addition to lefse bakes, you can volunteer in many different capacities. Renee Solberg will continue as dinner chairperson; Shelley Gustafson and Marge Albright will again serve as co-lefse leaders.
If you have been looking for a new project to become involved in, the lutefisk committee begins meeting this summer. Our current committee members have all served many years and for this dinner to continue, new leaders need to join the committee. Please think about saying “YES”!
The lutefisk committee is pleased to report that most proceeds from the 2016 dinner and bake sale have been dispersed. Many organizations and groups have benefited from our proceeds. THANK YOU!
2017 Dates to Remember
- Tuesday, August 22: First Lefse Setup and Potato Preparation
- Wednesday, August 23: First Lefse Bake Begins
- Sunday, September 24: Worker Signup Begins
- Wednesday, September 27: Worker Signup Continues
Join us for this annual night to get out and enjoy food, friends, and music! Brats, hotdogs, chips, & beverage for a small charge provided by Adult Fellowship. Pie & ice cream provided by WELCA for a small charge. Don & Peggy Holtan are back with their “Old Time” musical selections.
Mark your calendar, register, and pray for travelers
- Youth Retreat
- Dr. Seuss VBS
Ages 3-4th grade
- Family Fun Night
- Colorado Backpacking Trip
June 24-July 1
- Action Packed Day Camp
- Colorado Backpacking Trip
Deacon Amanda Sabelko
CYF Ministry Development Coordinator
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of our Faith Formation volunteers and staff this past year! From our Sunday and Oasis teachers to our adult education leaders, and confirmation guides we could not have gotten through this whole year without your support and dedication to the faith life of our congregation and its visitors. Thank you also to Country Pleasures & the Confirmation groups for your work with the Oasis Meals. We have been truly blessed by your service!
Vacation Bible School
This June 19-23 at St. John’s we will be learning about God’s love through the stories of Dr. Seuss! From 8:30-11:30 am each day we will learn how God helps us to care for creation and each other!
3 years – 4th grade (2016-2017)
For questions or to volunteer contact Amanda at (507) 634-7110 or
We’ll be worshipping at St. John’s new fire pit every Wednesday at 6:30 pm. We do worship rain or shine! We just move inside if weather dictates.
Every week we’ll worship guided by a book called Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life. You bring a camp chair and we’ll bring the s’mores!
- June 24: Blessing of the Pets
- June 21: Celebration of VBS and Family Fun Night
- June 28: Prayers for those on St. John’s mission & faith formation trips
- July 5: Christmas in July
- July 12: Celebration of Haiti Mission
- July 19: Celebrate the County Fair
- July 26: Prayers for confirmation campers
- Aug 2: Celebration of Backpacking Trip
- Aug 9: Festival in the Park/Celebrate our community
- Aug 16: Celebration of Confirmation Camp
- Aug 23: Affirmation of Baptism
- Aug 30: Back to School Backpack Blessing
Come on out and bring a friend or neighbor! We’ll once again host a Family Fun Night as a way for our community to get together and have some fun! Food, face painting, games, balloons, songs by the VBS kids, and more!
Wednesday, June 21
Here at St. John’s
We need a few helpers! If you can help set up, clean up, or welcome people (be near games, serve food, etc.) sign up here.
St. John’s women are doing a Women to Women project with the women of Haiti. We would like you to help us send funds with the St. John’s women who will travel to Haiti this summer.
During the summer the children in Haiti are not in school and miss out on the meal they would receive at school. When their mothers attend a Bible study, we sent a bag of food supplies home with them for meals at home.
If you would like to participate in this project, there is a Women’s Food Fund Basket at the Welcome Center (or in the office) for your contributions. (This is a women’s project, but of course we welcome assistance from our male friends as well!)
June 15 – Worship at Fairview @ 9 am
June 15 – Worship at Sunwood @ 2 pm
June 16-18 – Ironwood Springs Youth Retreat
June 19-23 – Dr. Seuss Vacation Bible School
June 21 – Family Fun Night @ 5 pm
June 23-29 – Haiti Mission Trip
Summer Worship Schedule
Worship by the Fire
Wednesday 6:30 pm service on the South Lawn by the Fire Pit. Schedule at www.stjohnskasson.org/worship
Sundays 9:00 am
More details & events available online at www.stjohnskasson.org/calendar
Youth Ministry Coordinator
The summer is fast approaching and we have many opportunities to take part in as the weather warms up!
- Summer worship on Sunday mornings at 9 am (one service) will begin on Sunday, May 28. Our Wednesday evening worship will move outdoors beginning on June 7 (we will not have worship on May 31) with a time change to 6:30 pm. Come join us around our brand new fire pit care of Eagle Scout candidate, John Kllinkhammer.
- We will be celebrating our graduating seniors at worship on Sunday, May 21 at both services, as well as on Wednesday, May 24 at 6:15 pm. Come celebrate this milestone with us!
- Community baccalaureate will be held on Sunday, May 21 at 7 pm at First Baptist Church of Kasson.
- Our high school discipleship retreat for 8th-12th grade students has been moved to June 16th-18. This retreat will take place at Ironwood Springs Christian Ranch near Stewartville. Cost is $50, which includes zip line, challenge course, and all meals. Space is limited.
- This year’s Vacation Bible School will be held June 19-23 from 8:30am-11:30am. Our theme this year is Dr. Seuss! Come have some wild fun with us! Sign-up at www.stjohnskasson.org/vbs or in the office.
- Good Earth Village is offering two family camps this summer: Family Camp (July 28-30) and Grand Camp (July 5-7). More information available at www.goodearthvillage.org.
- Our middle school day camp, Action Packed Day Camp returns this year for 5th-8th graders. This camp is planned for July 10-13, 9am-3pm (at least one day will end around 6pm). Cost for this week of constant action is $50. Schedule of activities and sign-up available soon. Space is limited to 25 students.
Summer worship begins Sunday, May 28 and Wednesday, June 7 (no worship Wednesday, May 31). We will worship:
- Sundays at 9:00 am
- Wednesdays at 6:30 pm by St. John’s new fire pit