During the last couple school years, we have been experimenting with our children’s faith formation classes to learn about parts of Luther’s Small Catechism. We’ve been calling these Milestone Ministries. The purpose of our milestone ministries is to name both sacred and ordinary events in our daily lives by creating rituals and traditions that shape our identities and give us a sense of belonging to the family of God. By learning about sacred texts it is our hope to help students as they build a foundation of faith.
Each age from 3-years-old through 6th grade has a specific milestone:
- Preschool—receive gifts from our congregation to learn about certain parts of their faith – prayer pillows and Bibles
- Kindergarten—learn the whys, whats, wheres, whos, and hows of worship.
- 1st Grade—learn about prayer and memorize the Lord’s Prayer
- 2nd Grade—learn about Moses and the Ten Commandments
- 3rd Grade—learn about the Bible
- 4th grade—learn about the sacraments and participates in First Communion
- 5th & 6th grade—learn about Martin Luther and the Apostles’ Creed one year and Stewardship the next (studying together, so the topics rotate years)
At baptism, we promise to walk along-side the newly baptized as they live their life of faith. This is one of the ways that we help the youngest in our midst to learn about our faith. We thank you for the gifts you share so we can fulfill this promise!