Unfortunately, the Haiti Mission trip has been postponed. Due to the current civic unrest and crime in Haiti there is a Department of State travel advisory. The group will continue to raise funds for the projects they are supporting as discussed below.
On March 21-28, 2019, eight people from southeastern Minnesota will travel to visit our mission partners in Haiti. From St. John’s: Jen Smith, Emilie and Luckinger Hilaire, Wayne Hendrickson, and Dennis Foster. From Rochester Central Lutheran School: Missy Tjosaas. And from St. Paul Lutheran Church in Pine Island: Pastor Marie Anderson and Kari Toft.
- Children’s VBS in Bouyaha and in Pignon
- Taking student pictures in Bouyaha
- Women’s bible study
- Health education and wellness clinics
- Food distribution to Families in Bouyaha
- Basic sewing classes
- Solar powered computer lab at the school in Bouyaha
- Rehabbing Bouyaha homes (cement floor, roof repair)
- Funding for a truck (partnership with two other congregations)
Before the trip, St. John’s is working to raise $15,000 for three of these projects:
- $4,500 for a solar powered computer lab. This will include the solar power infrastructure and 11 laptop computers.
- $4,000 will go to providing cement floors and metal roofs for homes in Bouyaha, upgrading from dirt floors and makeshift roofs.
- $6,500 is St. John’s portion of a total $20,000 goal for a reliable pickup truck. Two congregations in Illinois will share the total cost. We’re also looking for leads on a 2004-2010 3/4 or 1 ton, 4-door, diesel, 4 WD, manual transmission pickup with reasonable mileage.
There are ways the team is asking for help meeting this goal:
- Come to the February 20 Oasis meal. Donations will go to support these projects. A pizza supper will be served 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm.
- Join us again for a Pulled Pork Luncheon on Sunday, March 17 starting at 11:30 am.
- Cash donations are always welcome! Cash or check to St. John’s Lutheran Church clearly marked for Haiti Mission can be placed in the weekly offering or left in the office.
All funds raised will directly toward those we serve. Each team member is paying his or her own expenses.
Your prayers are also needed! Pray for:
- The team as they travel
- The team as they complete God’s work
- The students in Bouyaha
- Pastor Mioche and his staff