In 2004 St. John’s started supporting the ministry of Pastor Mioche in Bouyahah and Pingnon, Haiti. Since then, we have supported the Pastor Mioche’s ministry financially and by sending clothing, household items, school supplies, and more. We also played a large part in constructing a building for a school in a very remote part of North Central Haiti.
In 2013, ten of St. John’s members visited Haiti. Our goal was to raise $10,000 for the first phase of the school building. Thanks to St. John’s generosity and commitment to this ministry, we raised $23,000. Phase One consists of three classrooms and a kitchen. Construction on Phase Two has begun and continues whenever funds become available. Phase Two contains enough classrooms so that all the children can be out of the elements, as well as an administrative room and a secure storage room. At school, the children receive a hot lunch; many times this is the only meal the kids get all day. The 2013 mission team also provided medical care to the village, taught bible study to the children, had a women’s bible study, and taught young men how to build solar panels.
For more information on this mission, contact Emilie Lushinsky at firstname.lastname@example.org
We post updates directly to the Haiti Mission blog. You can also read other news about our ministry below.
News from our partnership in Haiti
- Children's VBS in Bouyaha and in Pignon
- Taking student pictures in Bouyaha
- Women’s bible study
- Health education and wellness clinics
- Food distribution to Families in Bouyaha
- Basic sewing classes
- Solar powered computer lab at the school in Bouyaha
- Rehabbing Bouyaha homes (cement floor, roof repair)
- Funding for a truck (partnership with two other congregations)
- $4,500 for a solar powered computer lab. This will include the solar power infrastructure and 11 laptop computers.
- $4,000 will go to providing cement floors and metal roofs for homes in Bouyaha, upgrading from dirt floors and makeshift roofs.
- $6,500 is St. John's portion of a total $20,000 goal for a reliable pickup truck. Two congregations in Illinois will share the total cost. We're also looking for leads on a 2004-2010 3/4 or 1 ton, 4-door, diesel, 4 WD, manual transmission pickup with reasonable mileage.
- Come to the February 20 Oasis meal. Donations will go to support these projects. A pizza supper will be served 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm.
- Join us again for a Pulled Pork Luncheon on Sunday, March 17 starting at 11:30 am.
- Cash donations are always welcome! Cash or check to St. John's Lutheran Church clearly marked for Haiti Mission can be placed in the weekly offering or left in the office.
- The team as they travel
- The team as they complete God's work
- The students in Bouyaha
- Pastor Mioche and his staff
Unfortunately, the Haiti Mission trip has been postponed. Due to the current civic unrest and crime in Haiti there is a Department of State travel advisory. The group will continue to raise funds for the projects they are supporting as discussed below.
On March 21-28, 2019, eight people from southeastern Minnesota will travel to visit our mission partners in Haiti. From St. John's: Jen Smith, Emilie and Luckinger Hilaire, Wayne Hendrickson, and Dennis Foster. From Rochester Central Lutheran School: Missy Tjosaas. And from St. Paul Lutheran Church in Pine Island: Pastor Marie Anderson and Kari Toft.
Before the trip, St. John's is working to raise $15,000 for three of these projects:
There are ways the team is asking for help meeting this goal:
All funds raised will directly toward those we serve. Each team member is paying his or her own expenses.
Your prayers are also needed! Pray for:
St. John's has a long standing relationship with Pastor Mioche Rock and his Christian ministries in Haiti. St. John's worked in partnership with Pastor Mioche Rock to fulfill a dream of providing a Christian school in rural Bouyaha, Haiti.Read more
We received the following letter from Pastor Mioche in Haiti:
From: Friends of Christ Haitian Ministry (FCHM)
To: Kasson friends of Haiti
We are happy to greet you in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We want to express our gratitude to you for your great response upon the request of Pastor Marie Anderson to assist us in transporting some donated food to our location in Pignon, Haiti.Read more
Do you like to sew, or just have a heart for helping others?
Well, then we need you.Read more
Friends of Christ School in Haiti has a child sponsorship program. For only $35 a month you can help support a child at the school.Read more